Tuesday, 17 May 2016

Oh My Dear Sweet JONAS


Nicholas Jerry Jonas, there are so few people from our generation that make music. I don’t mean the noise that caters only to the ears. Nor do I mean the rhyming of impedimentary language. I mean music that embodies today as well as says something. And you for one are a unique brand of such embodiment in the music industry.

Ever since his relaunch in 2015, I have to say, his music has added a certain intensity to my playlist. It’s not like I am advocating for the young man. Don’t get me wrong. I am advocating for the talent the man has. Lately the music industry has been producing the most insignificant music when it comes to substance and content. In every genre, every culture, every nationality the presentation of the artist a.k.a. brand has become more important than the music. Words and meaning have been interchanged with beats and catchy chorus/dance movies.
Music used to be a language: it had a voice that spoke about love, sorrow, beauty, politics, loss and so many important components of a life. Mainstream music today has killed the soul of music, and when artist like Adele, Sia, Nick Jonas and others make it, I rejoice. I rejoice because I finally get to have a conversation with the soul of an artist. Finally I get that transcending connection that music brings. I forget race, sex, waist size, financial status, religion and all other things that segregate us today. I realise that I am not alone in whatever it is I feel. And I thank such artists for putting into words that which I couldn’t. For embracing humanity for what it really is: emotional connection.

In the words of Plato i bid you good night.
"Music is a moral law. It gives soul to the universe, wings to the mind, flight to the imagination, and charm and gaiety to life and to everything."




No comments:

Post a Comment